Sunday, May 4, 2008

challenged

Since I've noted our lack of adoption news a few times lately, Grace has given me a few adoption-related blogging suggestions. And I'm up for the challenge, so here goes:

1. What quality do you hope to pass on to baby? What quality of Ryan's do you hope gets passed on to the baby?

For myself, I hope to pass on a curiosity and interest in the world - seeing the world, learning about different places and people and cultures, and having an appreciation for the beauty in those differences. As for Ryan, well, he possesses many qualities I hope get passed on, but if I have to pick one, it would be his compassion.

2. Attempt to make Ethiopian food. Post pictures of the results (and of your face/ryan's face/ej's face as you try it.)

I promise we will do this! We have been cooking from our African cookbook (okay, well Ryan has been cooking from it), but we haven't yet made any traditional Ethiopian food. But we will. (And Jennifer and Jeffrey - you are invited to join us, since I know you also thought this was a great idea!)

3. Write an adoption haiku. They are deceptively difficult. Try an adoption acrostic.

I am proud to say that I have recently written my first adoption haiku (first published here)

while waiting we blog
sharing our journey to you
our guzo of love

I admit I had to look up acrostic, and this one is gonna take some time. Hmm... But check back. I'll post when I come up with one.

4. Tell us your favorite childhood memory and why it is your favorite. Tell us how you will re-create that specialness for baby.

Wow. This is a tough one. I have a lot of good childhood memories (thanks mom and dad!). Everything from barbecues in the backyard... to family vacations... making "forts" out of blankets and sheets that ran from my bedroom down the hall to my brother's room... and decorating the house for birthdays and holidays.... It is hard to pick just one. But what pervades all of these memories are the times spent together with my parents and my brother, feeling secure and happy and loved, and I certainly hope we can give our child the same feelings.

5. Tell us a list of boys names you do (or don't) like, and why.

Well, we do have our list narrowed down to about 3-5 names (depending on the day), but I regret to say that I will be unable to share these just yet. We have not revealed our list to anyone yet (meaning my mother will kill me if I share it here before I share it with her!) and probably won't until we see our son and finally decide.

But I can share a few names that one or both of us really liked and had been in contention for a while: Hunter, Isaac, Jackson, Elijah, Jacob. And EJ really liked Seymour, after his favorite dog in our building.

So thank you Grace for this idea. Fun to think about these things, and hopefully good reading for anyone following this blog. I invite my fellow bloggers (especially those struggling with finding things to do while waiting) to also take what I am hereby naming the "Grace Challenge!"

3 comments:

Jana said...

This is so fun to read. :)

love that haiku, baby!

graceling said...

This was fun! I'm glad you played along:)

Jennifer said...

I am going to have to take the Grace challenge.... ;)