I mentioned recently that Jennifer had tagged me (again) and I promised (resolved) that this time I would really respond (ya know, as opposed to the last time I was tagged and promised to respond but never actually did)... so here goes.
Jennifer blogged about her new year's resolutions and wanted to know what others had resolved for 2009. I didn't make any formal resolutions, because I am not good at keeping new year's resolutions (hey, at least I admit it). But there are definitely a few areas I'd like to focus on in 2009 - so here are my non-resolution resolutions:
1) To figure out how to fit 4-5 workouts back into my schedule each week.
Back in the day, this was no problem. But as I have entered motherhood... and now working motherhood, I have to say, I am struggling with how and when to schedule gym time. I have always been an evening workouter, but now that I'm away from Simon for so many hours each day, I can't really imagine leaving him again for an hour or so to go to the gym when I get home from work. I didn't get to the gym once during my first week back on the job. So last week I thought I would try morning workouts - even though I am NOT a morning person - because Simon usually sleeps until 8:30-9am. But then as soon as I set my alarm to go off an hour earlier than usual, Simon decided he was going to become a morning person, waking up between 6:30 and 7am every day of my second week back on the job. I don't know if I can wake up at 5am to workout. This is going to be a tough one!
2) To limit the number of bad tv shows I watch (Ryan will be thrilled!!).
This is probably one of my worst habits. What can I say? I just find that after a long, often stressful day at work, I need mindless, silly, doesn't-really-matter-if-you-pay-attention television. It helps me unwind. The second problem is that I like the background noise of the tv. I hate silence (it actually makes me nervous) and music just doesn't usually relax me the way the buzz of a television does. I can't explain it, but I am somehow soothed by the "white" noise of a tv. Other than Ryan rolling his eyes at me every time I turn on some pathetically bad reality tv show, I never really worried about my bad tv habit. Then came Simon. I don't want Simon growing up addicted to the tv, and I definitely don't want him watching some of the trash I watch. So I need to figure out a way to ween myself from the big black box that has been a permanent fixture in my life for many, many years.
3) To learn to cook something (well).
If you've been reading this blog for a while, you know that Ryan is the resident cook. He enjoys cooking and does it well, so this has worked out just fine for us. But I feel like I should probably be able to do something in the kitchen other than make coffee, heat things up in the microwave and generally get in Ryan's way while he is making something fabulous.
4) To make a difference.
I know this sounds cliche, but more than ever before, I really find myself wanting to find ways to help others, and in an active, meaningful way. I have blogged about our efforts to raise money for Gladney's foster care centers in Ethiopia, something we believe in deeply and that obviously is very close to our hearts. (Thank you to everyone who has donated and/or helped us spread the word - as always, we are grateful for this wonderful blogging community. I will keep you posted about our efforts and results) This is definitely going to be an ongoing effort, and not a one time gig, so I hope you won't mind if I continue to post about it. We also had the pleasure of meeting with some of the folks from Gladney while they were in NYC this past week. Gladney is involved in so many great humanitarian aid projects in Ethiopia and elsewhere, and I hope that Ryan and I can continue to work with them in different ways going forward.
5) To raise a happy, healthy, well-adjusted kid.
Okay, so this one isn't a 2009-specific resolution, but it's certainly something I aspire to and something I think about all the time. Probably be my number one goal for a long time to come.
And there you have it... the things I want to accomplish and work towards this year. Anyone else want to play a game of resolution tag?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment