Saturday, June 12, 2010

one step forward, two steps back

Well, that's not quite right. We continue to move forward with adoption round 2... so maybe we're more like two steps forward, one step back, as it seems that every time we think we've wrapped something up, we find out that there's been a bit of snag and we need to do something else to fix it.

Fortunately, these little snags have generally been minor - the latest being the need for me to sign (and have notarized) a name declaration statement. Seems on one of our reference letters, a friend referred to me as Meredith [Ryan's last name], which I don't mind, but, unfortunately, as I never actually changed my last name when we got married, creates a bit of a discrepancy that needs to be addressed when our paperwork goes to court in Ethiopia.

And then, of course, there is still the matter of our bank letter.

I have been (half) joking about it here for a while. We had such a miserable time getting one of our banks to write a suitable letter when we were adopting Simon, that I had been putting off trying to get one for this round. But I didn't really imagine that it would become the last piece of paper we were waiting on. It is.

As of Friday morning, I had put requests in at two different banks. I came home on Friday afternoon to find the letter one bank sent. And all I can say is WOW (and not in a good way). I don't think I could have been more clear in my verbal and written requests to them. I even included copies of the template Gladney provided AND the letter we got for Simon's adoption as examples of what we needed (we no longer use the bank that provided that letter, although I am seriously thinking of opening an account there again just to get another letter). And what did I get back?? A copy (i.e. not the letter with the original signature) of a letter that doesn't say what was asked and WAS NEVER NOTARIZED!

Ugh!

So now I anxiously wait to see what bank #2 will do. I will also make a repeat visit to a local branch (or two) to put in request #3 (and maybe #4).

Can it really be that all that stands between us and the waitlist is a bank letter? Is it weird that with both adoptions CIS moved super quick, FBI prints cleared within 6 weeks, even our health insurance verification proved fairly easy to obtain... but about 7-8 requests were made from three different banks (among 6 different offices) and so far only one suitable letter has ever been obtained???

Well, at least I know how I will be spending my time this week.

As for the non-adoption stuff... seems like Summer has barely started (okay, I realize officially it hasn't started), but already I feel like it is going so quickly. (Why does that always seem to happen?)

We had a busy but fun trip to Germany a couple of weeks ago, tomorrow Ryan is off to Jordan, and then I go back to Germany a few weeks after he returns. We'll take a family trip to Oregon in August... potentially a weekend in Maine after that... and then, if we're still standing, we'll try to enjoy a little time at home!

Simon will be pretty busy as well. He's been in gym and music classes for most of the last two years and this summer he will add swimming lessons and a cooking class. I am so excited for him - especially the cooking class, since he was too young for most of the classes I had seen previously, and he seriously has been obsessed with cooking since we brought him home. And I really mean obsessed. He knows more about cooking and our kitchen than I do (Ryan will vouch for that). He makes [guaca]mole using [avo]cados and pap[r]ika and [ta]basco... He knows where all our pots and pans go. Can find any spice... grab anything you need from the fridge... even sets the table. Kid is becoming quite the food snob too. He used to eat frozen waffles, but now he will only eat waffles if they're made from scratch!

So all in all, things are good. Crazy (always). Fun. Silly. Busy. And happy.

Just the way we like it.

3 comments:

Julie said...

We started down the same path with our bank. They had a policy against it. We then remembered we had a friend who was in upper management. within a day after requesting, he had it waiting for us! Have you gone through all your circle of friends lists to see if someeonw works at your bank?

Sorry about this. I don't want to suggest the obvious if you have thought of this, but I know how frustrating that document search can be! (We adopted 2 boys from Russian and Baby #3 we are paperchasing for ET

Heidi said...

Ugh, what a pain. We use Citibank and I just typed up the letter myself and then brought it in to the bank to have them sign and notarize it. Not sure if that would work with your bank but thought I would mention it.

The Soucys said...

Let me know if you come to Maine!!!
Damn that bank letter!! For us, it was the insurance letter. Made me crazy!