Tuesday, September 9, 2008

playing catch up

We've been reminded a few times lately that we have not been very good bloggers, as it has been a while since our last post, let alone one where we had much to say. Of course, if I were you, I'd much rather look at Simon's adorable (if I don't say so myself) pictures and video clip than read anything Ryan or I have to say. But we really do appreciate everyone's interest in following our journey and checking in on us, and we do not want you to think we've disappeared. To the contrary, we've just been busy enjoying the last few weeks of summer, gearing up for our trip and Simon's homecoming, and wrapping up various projects and issues at our jobs, as we prepare to to take some time off....

So here's what's been happening (in no particular order):

In approximately 48 hours we will begin the final leg of our journey to meet Simon (note: the number of bags packed for our trip (excluding humanitarian aid items) = ZERO!).

In less than one week, Simon Alemayehu will be in our arms.

The dresser and changing table we ordered for Simon's nursery has not yet arrived. Current expected delivery date: the day after we get home. And how does this affect setting up the nursery? Well, let's just say that a couple of pampers boxes are currently doubling as "shelves" with everything from wipes to bibs to onesies piled on top of them. Not exactly the look I had in mind when planning the nursery, but hey, it works.

Today will be the last day I go into my office in 2008! YAY!!!!!!! (well, not entirely true as I've promised to visit with Simon, but no more work days this year! Yay wonderful company maternity leave policy!!)

We went to the US Open men's semifinals on Saturday. So did tropical storm Hannah :(



Fortunately, we were able to see the Federer/Djokovic match before the weather turned nasty. And we were able to go back to the stadium for the conclusion of the Nadal/Murray match Sunday (a beautiful day!!). Great tennis, but so much for packing or working on the nursery!


We've started another journey... as an outlet to the daily grind, we decided we'd try to blog about our travels (and the travel we hope to do...). Because we don't have enough going on.

Speaking of which... the never-ending hunt for a new apartment continues.

EJ is also getting ready for his vacation at his grandparents' house. Lots and lots of treats and belly rubs guaranteed.

He's still not fully onboard about the whole adoption thing, but I think he's warming up to the idea. Now there will always be someone around. And someone whose just about the same height too!! Not to mention lot's of cool looking new toys everywhere. Hmm....

And that about does it.

I promise another post before we leave and we'll see if we can check in while in Dubai and Ethiopia too. For now... I must finish getting dressed so I can go to work - my last day this year... and yes, I know I said that already, but I still cannot fully grasp the concept that after today my world is going to change so completely. I mean.. how does one possibly prepare for that??

2 comments:

graceling said...

Yea! You are still alive!

And only a few more days until you hold Simon- how fantastic is that?!

Glad you are enjoying your last days of B.S. (before Simon) time... can't wait to see you in just 5 days!

Jana said...

yay! for maternity leave! :)